Modern homemaking for the frugal urban mama.
Posts tagged meal plan
Out of sorts
I was chatting with my mom on the phone this afternoon. I told her that without having a meal plan in place this week, I was feeling really out of sorts. Mom corrected me, advising that the actual definition of “out of sorts” is something akin to “irritated”. Huh. My whole life I thought “out of sorts” meant discombobulated.
And discombobulated I am! The first few days after mom and dad’s visit, my kitchen was overrun with leftovers and I wanted to use them up. But now, we’re down to nothing, the week’s over half-over and I have empty cupboards and no plan! I hate shopping piecemeal and having to come up with meals on the fly. It’s inefficient and expensive. But if I do a big shop now, it’ll compromise my regular Meal Plan Monday schedule. I’m so screwed!
Never start a week without a meal plan. Lesson learned, my friends. Lesson learned.
Rest assured, this week hasn’t been a total wash. You may have noticed I’ve been posting less frequently over the last few days. That’s because I’ve been spending my bloggy time on a cool little project that I’ll be unveiling tomorrow morning… So check back mañana for more deets!
So I sorta disappeared over these last two days. It was, as I like to refer to it, “a spontaneous unplugging”. It wasn’t planned or anything, I’ve just subconsciously kept all online activities to a minimum for the past 48 hours. I was feeling so good after the first day of unplugging, I just kept rolling with it. It was a lovely little internet vacation and I’m ready to get back in the saddle today.
And what I’ve lacked in inter webs lately, I made up for in groovy weekend fun. Here’s what I’ve been up to, lo these past 2 days:
- The street we live on is having a sidewalk fair all weekend. Yesterday we walked for blocks and blocks in both directions, enjoying the activities. So much fun stuff to see and do!
- We bought a cabinet for the living room! At the aforementioned sidewalk fair. We found it at this great antique store and snapped it up for a song (and needless to say, we paid cash). I’ll post some pics at some point in the future, but I want to surprise my mom with it when my parents come to visit us in a couple of weeks. And since she reads this blog (Hi, mom!), I’ll wait until after she sees it to put it on the blog. But hey - spoiler alert - it’s antique, hand-painted and GORGEOUS! Yeah, I’m pretty much in love with my new cabinet.
- I sold a few things on Craigslist. That’s me, always trying to declutter and simplify. Feels so good.
- Lots of tea drinking and book reading has been going on this weekend. I’d like to say the tea is because I’ve quit coffee completely but no, that hasn’t exactly happened. But I’ve certainly cut back. Baby steps, right? As for the books, I’m currently reading this and this.
- We had tuna sandwiches for dinner last night. Ha! Sufficed to say, my trusty meal plan got a bit jumbled this weekend. It happens sometimes. Not often, but sometimes. But when it comes to meal planning, I truly believe that rigidity is a recipe for failure. Sometimes ya just gotta roll with it. The good news is that now I’ve got some unexpected meals in my arsenal for next week. And funnily enough, Dennis said the tuna sandwiches were one of the best dinners he’s had in awhile. (I’m not sure how to take that… Compliment or insult?)
- I think I’m going to make some cherry jam today. I think it’s a touch early in the season for local cherries because some of those pretty babies I bought at the farmers’ market last week turned out to be a bit tart. But we don’t waste food around here, no sir! So I shall repurpose them.
That’s about it for now! Hope you’re having a delicious Sunday.